BlogHer.com Logo

Monday, May 11, 2009

Bitch Test

On occasion, my family, co-workers and friends will inform me that something I have said or done is not polite, overly sarcastic, snarky or "bitchy".

Most of the time, I don't believe them. For example, my sister and I were at a garage sale and the home owner asked if I needed any "Brand New Size B Bras." I responded " No, we are a large breasted family."

I thought this was hilarious, my sister says it was bitchy - that I was implying that home owner has small boobs. Not true, I was simply informing her that those "Brand New Size B Bras" wouldn't work on my frame.

So, today I have a bitch test for you and I would appreciate your honest opinion.

Picture this - I arrive at the car wash at 5:20.

Me: Hello, I would like a full service wash with an interior detail.
Car Wash Gentleman: I don't have time for that.
Me: Why not?
Car Wash Gentleman: We close at 5:30
Me: Well, how long does it take?
Car Wash Gentleman: About 15 minutes
Me: You are unwilling to stay 5 minutes late for a paying customer?
Car Wash Gentleman: We close at 5:30
Me: Fine, do what you can I guess

Al Borlan (aka: my live in lova) says I'm an asshole. That in no way should I expect him to stay 5 minutes late and I am inconsiderate for asking. Don't I know that you can't show up somewhere 10 minutes before they close.....and so on.

Here's my case:
1. I didn't show up at 5:29, I came at 5:20 - a full 10 minutes before they close.
2. If you close at 5:30, you don't turn away a customer at 5:20!
3. I wasn't asking for an hour long massage - I merely wanted a 15 minute interior detail.
4. If my boss approaches me at 4:50 for assitance, I don't tell him "Sorry-I'm off in 10 minutes"

What do think about the Car Wash Case?

6 comments:

  1. you DO NOT go to a place that closes in 10 mins. and ask them to do a 15 min. job!
    Just like you would not go into a restaurant 10 mins. before close and order a sit down meal. Remember how mant times I complained about those rude people? Well, you are one of them. What a bitch...ugh....!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude i'm with you. I mean seriously? besides they could've lied to you and said "sure. we'll do it" and squeezed in a fifteen minute job in ten. pshhh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably wouldn't ask for it, but I can understand where you're coming from.

    If I were the car wash person, I would have washed your car. A happy customer is a returning customer which means more money for the business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, NO. I've always worked in retail and, no matter what time it was, 20 minutes or 2 minutes to close, you NEVER turn away a customer. That's just ridiculous.

    He's still getting paid for those last ten minutes so do your job!! Lazy people, that's what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He should have detailed your car. And NO you were not bitchy. This is why so many businesses fail these days. No customer service. As long as the lights are on .. they should take care of the customer. I'm a shopper.. and I mean a serious shopper. I also have an extensive background in retail and business management. If a business does not make an effort to meet their customers needs during any time while their lights are on that's a huge red flag. I've fired people for less. IF you're going to work with the public... serve the public. If not get a desk job without human contact.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Businesses exist for business. Smart business people know that turning away business is a self-defeating maneuver, even if it IS last-minute business. The money is there for the taking, unless you're too lazy to get out there and take it. [shaking head]

    ReplyDelete